[MPlayer-users] Flash/Mplayer

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 17 02:06:08 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 03:02:24 pm Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> >    Nope, the deal that's got me upsidedown an sideways is that
> > if I play anything flash (flash-plugin-9.0.31.0-release
> > installed by FF) even those without snd, mplayer goes silent.
> > Complains it can't open /dev/snd   Logout/in to KDE 3.5.8
> > immediately fixes this. Mplayer has sound again... till I
> > stumble onto some fsck'n flash app.
> >
> >    OK, I realize flash is a closed source proprietary B$ app...
> > but nobody else is seein this  ??
>
> I think I have run into the same problem in the past. I haven't
> had it happen as of late (don't really know why), but I ended up
> determining on my system that there is an esd process whenever
> the sound is locked. I just kill that process and sound comes
> back. But I am not using the latest release of Flash 9... I am
> using Flash 9.0 r60 (according to about:plugins). I know they
> came out with a new version but I haven't taken the time to
> update.
>
> Hope this helps
> Jeremy

    It does, thanks.  I know better than to question 'closed source
proprietary B$ app' problems.... but this one has me fuddled.
Sometimes no problem, other times....  I just let (rawhide) FF
alert me to updates, currently "Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31".  The only
proprietary app on this system.

    I just recompiled mplayer to  MPlayer dev-SVN-r24796-4.1.2 (C)
2000-2007 MPlayer Team  ... an damn if the situation didn't happen
again. Played a mov an had sound,
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 32000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 112.0 kbit/10.94% (ratio:
14000->128000)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2,
layer-3)

     ... then went to hotair, FF or Konqueror, doesn't seem  to
matter, but in this case it was FF. Both use libflashplayer.so
Played a flash video ... an sure nough, back to the term with 'mpl
*.mov' (same one as above) .... no frickin sound.  Usually, an in
this case also, just quitin FF entirely (all open tabs too), an
back in the term, mpl had sound! Sometimes only a logout/in will
suffice. But flash is the common deal.

     Please don't consider this a BZ... but sometimes just moanin
about propreitary crap helps ;)  ... an I can't be the only one...
or can I ??   ;) )))
--
    Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas