[MPlayer-users] Subtitle crash...

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Jan 24 13:16:23 CET 2007

Matthew wrote:

> G'Day,
>
> I recently updated to the latest version of mplayer on an otherwise
> standard Debian Sarge install.  I have used several versions of
> mplayer on this system without problems, so I assume the trouble is
> related to the new version (1rc1).

It may well be. However, 1.0rc1 is getting a little old at this point,
and in any case release versions in general (and third-party packaged
versions in particular, including the ones available via Debian) are not
supported by the development team.

> When I run any file and hit `v' (display subtitles) or press `v', `b'
> or `j' (display or cycle subtitles) on files that actually contain
> soft-subs then mplayer will crash with `MPlayer interrupted by signal
> 11 in module: decode_video'.  Everything works perfectly fine so long
> as the file has hardsubs or I choose not to display the subtitles,
> for all file-types/encoders I have tried out.  I have not tested with
> DVD because this particular system does not have the hardware.
>
> I attempted to recompile with debugging enabled, as per the
> instructions, but there is a compile-time error relating to an asm
> line when I do this.
>
> What can I do to fix/help identify the cause of this issue?

Obtain the latest SVN version of the source code, and attempt to compile
that. If compilation still fails, let us know how it fails, and attempts
will almost certainly be made to fix it. Once you have a version which
compiles correctly, build it with debugging enabled and see if the
problem still occurs in that most recent version.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.