[MPlayer-users] mplayer and mp4 and SEEK +/-10

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 17:14:00 CET 2007

Adam Sulmicki pisze:

> It works. I noticed slight degradation of image quality. I have tried
> to add "vbitrate=1600" but it seems to make no difference. There seems
> to be no option "-sameq" which can be found in ffmpeg. No matter what
> is the cause of the quality degradation it _is_ noticeable, since for
> example it makes lipreading the speaker harder :(  Is it limitation of
> the codec, or can the video quality be improved?

Always, recompresion already compresed material will give degradation of
the quality.
All compresion except lossless provides some image distortion and as
first compresion could give it innoticeable then each next recompresion
follows with cumulative degradation.

As side note of this tea.mp4 material. Coders who did it was either mad
or stupid or both - 1500kbps for AVC video at 320x240 resolution. With
that bitrate it could be crisp & clear 640x480 or even 800x600.

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/