[MPlayer-users] Any developer here ???

Christian Tsotras 7070 at free.fr
Wed Sep 27 23:36:35 CEST 2006

Hello, Corey.

Thanks for your answer. Here is my analysis of the stream.

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 01:05, Corey Hickey wrote:
> > Is there a developer here that can at least aknowledge that mplayer can't
> > or won't never be able to read multipart WMV9 streaming ?
[...]
> Are you familiar with any packet-sniffing programs like Ethereal (I
> mean, uh, now they call it Wireshark)? If you can take a look at the
> conversations between WMP<--->server and mplayer<--->server, you might
> be able to get a better grasp of what is going on. Providing such
> information might make a developer more likely to write a patch.

Here are the results sniffed on a windows PC where the stream works perfectly
with windows media player (connection done through a proxy):

  The text dump:
  http://christian.tsotras.free.fr/mplayer/earthcam.html
  (lines folded for better visibility)

  The hexdump of this stream:
  http://christian.tsotras.free.fr/mplayer/earthcam_hexdump.html

My remarks:

1) This stream is contained in only one TCP connection (same IPs, same source
and destination ports).

2) Windows Media Player seams to make two stream requests in the same TCP
connection.

3) The second request has some interesting "pragma requests" that the first
stream does not have:

  Pragma: xPlayStrm=1
  [...]
  Pragma: stream-switch-count=1
  Pragma: stream-switch-entry=ffff:1:0

4) In the case of mplayer on Linux (sniffs not included here, only windows
captured in these files), the second stream is not requested at all ... so
the server does not send anything.

Hope this helps.

--
Christian Tsotras - http://www.photo.net/photos/cts