[MPlayer-users] Any developer here ???

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Sep 28 00:38:21 CEST 2006

Christian Tsotras wrote:
> Here are the results sniffed on a windows PC where the stream works perfectly
> with windows media player (connection done through a proxy):
>
>   The text dump:
>   http://christian.tsotras.free.fr/mplayer/earthcam.html
>   (lines folded for better visibility)
>
>   The hexdump of this stream:
>   http://christian.tsotras.free.fr/mplayer/earthcam_hexdump.html
>
> My remarks:
>
> 1) This stream is contained in only one TCP connection (same IPs, same source
> and destination ports).
>
> 2) Windows Media Player seams to make two stream requests in the same TCP
> connection.
>
> 3) The second request has some interesting "pragma requests" that the first
> stream does not have:
>
>   Pragma: xPlayStrm=1
>   [...]
>   Pragma: stream-switch-count=1
>   Pragma: stream-switch-entry=ffff:1:0

Interesting. It appears that the server sends a header that indicates
the file has a playlist. WMP then asks the server for the first item in
the playlist. I can't tell what happens next; your logs don't go far
enough. Either:

(a) The server finishes sending the first item and WMP requests the second.

-or-

(b) The server finishes sending the first item and sends the second
automatically.

I poked around a little bit with netcat, but I wasn't able to send the
server a request it liked. I'm out of time for now. Here's an
interesting page:

http://avifile.sourceforge.net/asf-1.0.htm

Also, the header indicates that the name of the first playlist entry is
ecpromo.wmv.

$ mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile times http://wms1.earthcam.com/times
$ mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile ecpromo.wmv \
http://wms1.earthcam.com/ecpromo.wmv
$ diff times ecpromo.wmv
Binary files times and ecpromo.wmv differ
$ cmp -l times ecpromo.wmv
    219  11   2

I don't have any idea why they differ by a single byte.

-Corey