[MPlayer-users] A comment on Korean Subtitle (and few other things)

Tony Sim y2s82 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 5 02:55:55 CET 2006

i've been using mplayer in windows for some years now (since way back when it was still called beta)
i watch great many things, including animations from japan.  Since i'm comfortable w/ both korean and english, i try to get sub in either language which ever is posted ealier.  So i have archives of smi files along with video files.

the default build of mplayer for win in general has never been kind to korean subtitles, however.  it's either broken, or not displayed.  I made a mistake and ereased the config file i had, and now it won't even display the broken subtitles (and i also read that unicode is not supported somewhere.  not sure what to do to counter that)

i searched the web about a year ago and found a korean site that addressed this issue with a patch.
so to use that, i also had to learn to compile the entire mplayer from scratch.  It worked fine except in playing dvd; it always seems to skip the last few chapters :(
http://www.kipple.pe.kr/doc/mplayer/
this is the site; it's basically the how-to-compile-in-windows faq translated in korean.  the patch in question is at the bottom of this page.  subreader.c

i've used that file for pre6 and pre7 compilation.  i did not recompile pre8 or the rc1, and surely enough, the subtiles are broken or not even shown (respectively).

I'm not much of a programer, so i do not know if there's any vulnerability in that patch or the way to audit it.  I was hoping if someone would at least take a note of it and find a way to implement that to the next release.  It'd surely help the korean community, however small we may be, to use the product.  (i found it somewhat encouraging to see an ftp link to korea :D)

i think there was some config setting that had to be applied, though it is not addressed on the page i provided nor do i remember it anymore. (again, i erased that config by mistake :(  )

oh and wmv file isn't playing anymore... i think it's probably addressed alrdy but thought i'd just bring it up.

thanx and i hope the subtitle issue would be resolved quickly.  i love ur program :D