[MPlayer-users] problem in real-time encoding quicktime movies using mencoder

Mike Gibson m_gibson2006 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 03:50:21 CET 2006

Is it possible to use mencoder to generate the quicktime videos in the same format that we can download from apple's website? Thanks.

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:  Hello,
On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 03:00:03PM -0800, Mike Gibson wrote:
> I wonder what mencoder command can generate a quicktime file that can be played during the encoding process.

No, Quicktime is not a suitable format for this. The best you can get is
making partial files playable _after_ encoding with the help of ffmpeg's
qt-faststart.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger