[MPlayer-users] transcode 1080i to interlaced DVD?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Nov 20 09:16:10 CET 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:23:04 -0500 (EST)
nr at eecs.harvard.edu (Norman Ramsey) wrote:

> Running a deinterlace filter (-vf pp=fd) leaves the picture somewhat
> blurry.

First off, are you sure it's purely interlaced?  If it's a movie
or animation rather than a TV show, it's almost certainly telecined, and
needs to be handled differently than interlacing.

There are many deinterlacers.  kerndeint might work out for you.  But,
since you already have it as 1080, why not try "-vf field" to omit half
of the lines?  Then you can crop and scale to the dimentions you want
normally.

>   -vf il=d,crop=1440:1080,scale=720:480:1,il=i
>   -lavcopts ildct:ilme:mbd=2
>
> but I have no idea what I'm doing. Do all these make sense in
> combination?

lavcopts are fine (you'll want a lot more of course), but those vf
options are all wrong. il takes two parameters, and cropping height
after 'il=d:d' will give you completely mismatched fields.  Leave 'il'
completely out, and it'll work.  Make sure for your crop parameters that
you keep the height (and height offset) multiples of 4.

In any case, you can try out your filter options on-the-fly using
mplayer to see how they work.