[MPlayer-users] transcode 1080i to interlaced DVD?

Norman Ramsey nr at eecs.harvard.edu
Sun Nov 20 06:23:04 CET 2005

Dear Mplayers,

I've recorded some high-definition 1080i content that I would
like to archive to DVD.  Running a deinterlace filter (-vf pp=fd)
leaves the picture somewhat blurry.  I was thinking that it
might make more sense simply to code the interlaced input as
interlaced output.  Then it will display just fine on my old television.
But I'm not quite sure how to persuade mencoder to scale (and possibly
crop) the even and odd fields independently.  I had considered the
following options:

  -vf il=d,crop=1440:1080,scale=720:480:1,il=i
  -lavcopts ildct:ilme:mbd=2

but I have no idea what I'm doing. Do all these make sense in combination?

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Norman