[MPlayer-users] transcode 1080i to interlaced DVD?

Norman Ramsey nr at eecs.harvard.edu
Sun Nov 20 19:57:09 CET 2005

 > > Running a deinterlace filter (-vf pp=fd) leaves the picture somewhat
 > > blurry.
 >
 > First off, are you sure it's purely interlaced?  If it's a movie
 > or animation rather than a TV show, it's almost certainly telecined, and
 > needs to be handled differently than interlacing.

It's TV broadcast of a live sports event.  As far as I can tell, I'm
getting 29.97 fps with 2 fields in each frame.

 > There are many deinterlacers.  kerndeint might work out for you.  But,
 > since you already have it as 1080, why not try "-vf field" to omit half
 > of the lines?  Then you can crop and scale to the dimentions you want
 > normally.

Hmm, that never even occurred to me.  So the idea would be just to
drop half the lines?

 > >   -vf il=d,crop=1440:1080,scale=720:480:1,il=i
 > >   -lavcopts ildct:ilme:mbd=2
 > >
 > > but I have no idea what I'm doing. Do all these make sense in
 > > combination?
 >
 > lavcopts are fine (you'll want a lot more of course), but those vf
 > options are all wrong. il takes two parameters, and cropping height
 > after 'il=d:d' will give you completely mismatched fields.  Leave 'il'
 > completely out, and it'll work.  Make sure for your crop parameters that
 > you keep the height (and height offset) multiples of 4.

Cool---that might be like Christmas come early :-)

So what *does* one use -vf il for?

 > In any case, you can try out your filter options on-the-fly using
 > mplayer to see how they work.

Thanks,

Norman