[MPlayer-users] how to play subtitles embedded in AVI files

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat May 21 23:13:03 CEST 2005

Alexander Noe' wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>>> You most likely did not compare the source subtitle file and the
>>> extracted subtitle file byte-wise, so you can impossibly know
>>> that.
>>
>> Given that the end result is in fact a single contiguous subtitle
>> file, the input must have been the same thing.
>
> I have several contiguous AVI files... according to your logic, those
>  are all identical   HAHAHA

...I don't think I quite see how that analogy holds...

>> I declare this in the face of any and all evidence, and attempts to
>> convince me otherwise will be utterly futile.
>
> This is what i've waited for, it clearly shows that you have no clue
> what you are actually trying to talk about :) :)

Axtually, no, it doesn't; the preceding quoted part is what did that.
This particular quoted part just confirmed that I'm not being reasonable
and logical about all of this.

> http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Fun/bad_srt_files.zip
>
> SixFeetUnders04e01.srt <= created by an obviously broken subtitle
> file creator  (look at item 335)
> SixFeetUnders04e01_fixed.srt <= muxed and reextracted with avi-mux
> gui
>
> Other broken tools put a bunch of spaces on lines that are supposed
> to be empty...

Nice, but not I think relevant to the assertion at hand, although
perhaps relevant to the argument. If you'd provided that in reply to the
*second* half of my previous post, about "muxers do not/should not
combine multiple subtitle files" (in which argument I now see at least
one major hole), it might have been more appropriate - but you decided
not to try to address that.

This may be drifting offtopic, and in any case is becoming less and less
productive, so I don't know how much longer I'm likely to continue it...

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.