[MPlayer-users] Ripping dvd with DTS audio

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Mar 24 01:08:13 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:59:33AM +0200, Michael Iatrou wrote:
> When the date was Wednesday 23 March 2005 23:42, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:08:22PM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> > > Has anyone succeeded in ripping dvd to avi while keeping dts audio
> > > track? I have several dvds with dts soundtracks which sound really
> > > better than ac3 ones (most likely due to the fact that ac3 ones use 384k
> > > bitrate and dts use 768k - I wonder why they can't make one 640k ac3
> > > track instead?).
> >
> > Because it's all about marketing propaganda. Audiophile newbs think
> > DTS==god because it has dolby in the name. DVDs with DTS are actually
> > immensely lower quality because they've wasted almost a megabit/sec
> > that should have gone to the video.
>
> DTS stands for "Digital Theater Systems", where did you see "Dolby" in this
> name? In many cases (I could say in most) DTS stream _is_ better than DD
> (Dolby Digital, here comes the "Dolby") or at least different! Of course, you

Marketing stuff about DTS has dolby all over the place. Or am I wrong
about seeing "Dolby DTS"?? Maybe so; I try to avoid that crap as much
as possible.

> must own something better than Radio Shack multimedia speakers to figure that
> out.

Classic audiophile bullshit, and ignorant. And FYI that's not what I have.

> And finally, about the picture quality, thats plain FUD!

Oh here come the fun insult words from /.!

> Have you ever
> heard of Superbit DVDs?

What another great propaganda buzzword. It sounds so idiotic I won't
even try to guess what this one means.

> For the vast majority of the movies, a dual layer DVD
> is capable of Superbit-quality picture, and at least two audio streams (DD
> _and_ DTS).

The issue is transfer rate, not space. You want to use the full
transfer rate allowed by DVD for video bitrate, aside from a
reasonable amount for one audio track. Evil things like dubs,
director's commentary, etc. just make the video suck. Of course no one
does and thats why DVDs are full of shitty video artifacts... :(

> To Vladimir Mosgalin:
>
> They don't make 640k AC-3 for the same reason most people don't even think to
> create 512kbps mp3s: AC-3 and mp3 are lossy codecs/algorithms, designed for a
> very specific range of bitrates. So, an 640k AC-3 is just Bad Idea(TM).

This is nonsense. If you want to make a claim like this, back it up
with extensive double-blind tests or at least some sort of psnr
comparison (although psnr is meaningless for audio most of the time).

Rich