[MPlayer-users] Documentation Update

Sebastian Ewert ewi-news at gmx.de
Fri Jun 3 16:58:31 CEST 2005

On Thursday 02 June 2005 23:13, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> On 6/2/05, Sebastian Ewert <ewi-news at gmx.de> wrote:
> > I just wanted to ask for an update of the documentation in section 1.5
> >
> > - perhaps it might be good to rename the section from 'RTC' to 'Timer
> > Methods' or something like that
> >
> > - mplayer does not use an usleep() call per default anymore (at least as
> > far as I know) but a call to nanosleep().
> >
> > Perhaps this could be updated in the documentation. Also a hint if
> > nanosleep is better than usleep(), how exact nanosleep() is or if is
> > still good/necessary/advised to use the RTC method or the softsleep
> > method.
> >
> > - I had problems with the RTC method. /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
> > or /proc/sys/dev/rtc/ were just not there; the reason was that my Debian
> > Sarge system wasn't loading the rtc module but the genrtc module that
> > does not provide this /proc interface.
> >
> > Perhaps a hint to this might help others as well.
> >
> > - Perhaps some tips on how to get smooth(er) playback would also be nice
> > (perhaps including the timer methods and the -mc switch)
>
> Could you send a patch with all thoses changes? (diff -u
> original_file.xml modified_file.xml)
> Please not you need to edit the XML files available in the directory
> DOCS/xml/en/

I would really like to do that but most of the stuff that I asked for I don't
know myself. I just wanted to express what is not exactly clear to me as a
user and what would be nice to be updated...

The only thing I could really contribute are the steps that I took to solve my
problems with the RTC method on my Debian Sarge system. I can do that but the
rest I just don't know...

Thank you...