[MPlayer-users] DVD sound problems on 1.0pre6

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Jan 3 00:57:56 CET 2005

On Sunday, 02 January 2004 at 23:39, Matthew Mott wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 23:21 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > I also notice that I didn't have support for libdts in my mplayer.
> >
> > Yes, I forgot you need an additional lib to have that and since official
> > RPMs carry only the minimum necessary feature set, DTS wasn't compiled in.
> > I'll add it as a build-time option.
>
> Excellent - I too encountered this problem when trying to upgrade to
> pre6, which was annoying since I was particularly looking forward to DTS
> audio.
>
> On a related note, now that most distros are using kernel 2.6 which uses
> ALSA as its sound system, would it not make sense to have ALSA support
> enabled by default in the official RPMS?

No. There are problems with ALSA (memory leaks inside alsa lib reported
recently) and some developers have said ALSA simply sucks, so please use
OSS emulation until I hear from other developers that it's OK to use ALSA
directly.

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer/