[MPlayer-users] Dealing with a strange NTSC DVD

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Dec 5 04:31:58 CET 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 04:24:02 +0200
Samuli Karkkainen <skarkkai at woods.iki.fi> wrote:

> I have an NTSC DVD which appears to be neither telecined nor
> interlaced.

Yes, that is a really horribly converted movie.  Actually, it does
appear to be telecined, although not a normal 3:2 pattern.

"pullup" is able to reconstruct progressive frames from that clip well
enough, but it still leaves you with a horribly uneven framerate.
Perhaps if you guess the right value for -ofps you can even it out
acceptably.

> It would be nice to find a way to encode it smarter than by just
> deinterlacing it, but I can't come up with anything.

Well, you can always leave it as-is, and encode it as interlaced fields
("ildct:ilme"), but that's just putting-off the problem a little longer.

Hopefully someone else will have a better solution.