[MPlayer-users] Dealing with a strange NTSC DVD

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 5 08:45:22 CET 2005

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 07:31:58PM -0800, RC wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 04:24:02 +0200
> Samuli Karkkainen <skarkkai at woods.iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > I have an NTSC DVD which appears to be neither telecined nor
> > interlaced.
>
> Yes, that is a really horribly converted movie.  Actually, it does
> appear to be telecined, although not a normal 3:2 pattern.
>
> "pullup" is able to reconstruct progressive frames from that clip well
> enough, but it still leaves you with a horribly uneven framerate.

Not well enough. It seems to be dropping lots of frames because
the fields are unevenly blended.

If you set the 5th argument of pullup (strictness) to -1, it actually
seems to mostly work. At least, if you follow pullup with pp=lb, it
blends out the partially-blended field enough that it's not painfully
visible.

> > It would be nice to find a way to encode it smarter than by just
> > deinterlacing it, but I can't come up with anything.
>
> Well, you can always leave it as-is, and encode it as interlaced fields
> ("ildct:ilme"), but that's just putting-off the problem a little longer.

Well this will waste tons of space. Eventually you need to reencode it
into something watchable..

> Hopefully someone else will have a better solution.

Obtain the original PAL DVD. This is the correct solution.

Rich