[MPlayer-users] Sending mplayer from one computer to another

EC zybhjk at verizon.net
Wed Aug 24 00:51:07 CEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 06:05:51AM -0700, Peach Gordon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me how
> to send a shell command for mplayer on one computer
> and have the mplayer window play on the other. I
> assume the computers would have to be networked, and
> that's not a proplem. I just need to know how to, I
> guess, pipe it from one computer to the other.

Well this is possible with a netcat listener and sender, but that would
be hugely insecure, (pipeing unsanitized plaintext from the network into
a shell/mplayer).
What you want is to set up sshd on the server (recieving computer). Then
you can call ssh on the client with a command you want to execute, and
it will get sent to the server.
You can call 'mplayer <file>' from the client, but you can also send
input to the mplayer process while it is playing, (pause, skip forward,
etc.) Read up on -slave mode.

//Eli