[MPlayer-users] Getting started on apple

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Sat Aug 20 18:02:48 CEST 2005

On Aug 20, 2005, at 09.51, m at de-minimis.co.uk wrote:

> Test the first:  Is there a really simple step by step guide for
> how to set up
> mplayer on an apple?
Nope.

> I downloaded the apple precompiled binary from
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
>
> and played a teency silent mpg - no problem.
>
> I then tried to play a full length DVD so I launched mplayer at the
> VIDEO_TS
> directory of the film.  The player didn't like it.  I looked in the
> log.  The
> final line read:
>

>> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Looks like there's something wrong with either the Core Video or
Quartz output module (Not a codec problem).

> I couldn't see any indication of what was meant by video_out
> device.  Do some
> codecs convert a film into something that can be thrown at x11 and
> others
> convert it into something that the standard apple windowing system can
> understand, whatever the standard apple windowing system is?
>
> Anyway, I then went to download the "essential codecs" from the
> same site
> mentioned above.  But the text before the download link says that
> the codecs
> come as binaries - which surely means that a codec for debian linux
> running on
> x86 hardware isn't going to work on my G4 OSX ?  Hence the request
> for the step
> by step guide, just to get my feet on the ground and some examples
> working.
Yeah, we Mac users get the shaft when it comes to the "essential
codecs" packages. But, there's so many formats included with
MPlayer's source that I'm still addicted.

Here's what you do:
1.) Download the MPlayer Source Code
2.) Open up the Terminal
3.) Decompress the archive (trust me, all Safari will do is add an
extra .tar on the end, it's not decompressed).
     tar -xjvf <MPlayer File Here>
4.) Go into the MPlayer Source Directory
Now, this is where things get interesting. If you used Fink to
install things such as Vorbis libraries, or Lame, then things get a
little more complex if you want to include them.
5.) Run ./configure
If you used fink, then you add commands such as --with-vorbis-prefix=/
sw or something like that. Just run ./configure --help and look
through that. If you need additional help...
6.) Run make
Hopefully, that shouldn't die on you. Unfortunately, I'm currently
grappling with a problem of my own in this phase, so I can't make
guarantees.
7.) Change to root (You MUST have Root Access enabled in the Security
Menu under System Preferences)
8.) run make install
9.) Switch back to your normal account
10.) Enjoy