[MPlayer-users] Getting started on apple

m at de-minimis.co.uk m at de-minimis.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 16:51:09 CEST 2005

Test the first:  Is there a really simple step by step guide for how to set up
mplayer on an apple?

I downloaded the apple precompiled binary from

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

and played a teency silent mpg - no problem.

I then tried to play a full length DVD so I launched mplayer at the VIDEO_TS
directory of the film.  The player didn't like it.  I looked in the log.  The
final line read:

> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.

I couldn't see any indication of what was meant by video_out device.  Do some
codecs convert a film into something that can be thrown at x11 and others
convert it into something that the standard apple windowing system can
understand, whatever the standard apple windowing system is?

Anyway, I then went to download the "essential codecs" from the same site
mentioned above.  But the text before the download link says that the codecs
come as binaries - which surely means that a codec for debian linux running on
x86 hardware isn't going to work on my G4 OSX ?  Hence the request for the step
by step guide, just to get my feet on the ground and some examples working.

Regards, Max