[MPlayer-users] Couple of newbie questions...

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Mon Aug 15 15:06:37 CEST 2005

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:45:50 -0600
Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:

> > > Lastly, how does one encode a DVD in "fat" format (with all
> > > camera angles, all subtitle info, all audio tracks in multiple
> > > languages...  etc. all layered in parallel)?
> >
> > This isn't a job for MEncoder. MEncoder would compress the data.
> > You  just want a simple ripper and DeCSS app, which MEncoder
> > doesn't do  (at least, not with all of those features).
>
> Ok.  Then I guess I misunderstood.  I had thought Divix or Matroska
> could do this.

You probably can store all that stuff in Matroska (dunno about DivX,
I wouldn't use it anyway) but mencoder won't do it on its own. You'll
need mkvtoolnix as well and possibly vobcopy, transcode etc.

You would have to extract each element with mplayer then (optionally)
compress them individually, convert the vobsubs to srt (again,
optional) then mux them all into a Matroska file with mkvmerge.

If you manage to figure all that out we'd be interested in seeing your
script.

Martin