[MPlayer-users] monitor size vs. aspect ratio vs. resolution

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Mon Aug 15 07:28:20 CEST 2005

I'm not well versed in this, and appreciate any feedback.

I'm trying to figure out what the best aspect ratio is for me to use. My
monitor size is 33.2cm/20.9cm, which is roughly 1.6, and resolution i
usually use is 1280x800 (max). This is a laptop. I tend to use xine more
often, but hope this is an appropriate venue to ask.

My questions are:

1. Should i even try to use 16:9 aspect ratio w/ this monitor, even for
widescreen DVDs?
    It appears that this causes some pixels to be lost, or distortion.
I'd think this would cause only a black border on top and bottom, but it
appeas to instead cause a loss of some pixels on left and right
sometimes. Or maybe i'm just imagining it.

2. If i bought a TV that has the actual 16:9 dimensions, would i be able
to use this laptop for TV-out, and really have 16:9 on the TV monitor? I
suppose i should be able to, using settings like below.

3. My laptop has widescreen written on the monitor. But it appears the
only way to be able to use 16:9 and utilize the whole screen for me is:
a. monitoraspect=1.78 with mplayer
b. anamorphic, + resize the output with Alt+z or Ctrl +z with xine
Both of these approaches appear to distort the video somewhat,
especially given that most DVDs are 720x480. Can such a monitor really
be called widescreen, or should only monitors with 16:9 (like 1280x720,
which mine doesn't support) resolutions, or physical dimensions (like
HDTV monitors) be called that way?

4. Is it a correct statement that non-widescreen videos should be
watched in 4:3, and widescreen ones in 16:9, regardless of resolution
and physical dimensions? Doesn't 4:3 already mean a distortion, since
most DVDs, for instance, are 720x480, which is a ratio of 1.5?

Sorry if the questions seem basic, but i really am a little confused by
all this. This doesn't stop me from enjoying both xine and mplayer on
regular basis, but i want to be able to do that in an optimal way.

Thanks all.