[MPlayer-users] Couple of newbie questions...

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Aug 15 07:45:50 CEST 2005

Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2005, at 23.18, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> New on the list (though I suspect now is not the best time to be
>> joining it... oh, well)...  and I had a couple of questions.
>>
>> First, I'm seeing the dreaded "too many packets in video buffer"
>> message when trying to play the Brian Wilson "Smile" DVD.  See
>> below.  If I play it differently as:
>>
>> % mplayer dvd://3 -ac dvdpcm -aid 160 -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0
>>
>> (and via analogue line-out instead of via SPDIF/RCA) then it works.
>> I suspect that the problem actually has nothing to do with the video
>> stream at all, and is a decoder issue (however, both hwac3 and a52
>> decoders have the same issue).
>
> Have you tried another media player? Like Xine or VLC? Let's see if
> this is *just* and MPlayer problem, or something more broad. If it's
> just MPlayer, then we can help you, if it's not, try looking at
> another mailing list.

The problem isn't present with Xine.

 From what I saw (googling the error message), that particular message
seems to crop up for several different and unrelated reasons.

>> Second question, how does one get DVD menu navigation to work?
>> I can play individual titles, but not see the top-level menus to get
>> around the various titles on most DVD's.
>
> It doesn't exist, nor is it likely to exist anything in the near
> future. Use Xine if menus are important.

Ok.  Noted.

>> Third, under Windows, the same hardware (a MSI-7142/K8MM-V
>> motherboard, AMD Athalon 64, 1GB, Sony DVD-RW DRU-800A,
>> NVidia GeForce 6200 video card, etc) seems to be a lot better at
>> reading the same DVD's than Mplayer-1.0pre7 is on FC3.  I suspect
>> that Mplayer isn't setting the DVD's error-correction strategy to be
>> as aggressive... but I couldn't find what the settings were using
>> "hdparm", so I'm not even sure that Linux let's you tweak this.
>
> What player are you using? Have you tried MPlayer for Windows?

I had the Intervideo driver because it came with that particular install
off-the-shelf.  I just wanted to double check against how Windows
performed.  I'm not looking to enrich the Windows environment.  I just
wanted something to use for comparison.

>> Lastly, how does one encode a DVD in "fat" format (with all camera
>> angles, all subtitle info, all audio tracks in multiple  languages...
>> etc. all
>> layered in parallel)?  That is, I might want to rip a DVD onto a hard
>> disk now, but might not know until later if it will be watched in
>> PCM/stereo
>> or DTS 6.1 until later, and whether it will be watched with english
>> captions
>> or spanish subtitles, etc.
>
> This isn't a job for MEncoder. MEncoder would compress the data. You
> just want a simple ripper and DeCSS app, which MEncoder doesn't do
> (at least, not with all of those features).

Ok.  Then I guess I misunderstood.  I had thought Divix or Matroska could
do this.

-Philip