[MPlayer-users] RealAudio live stream garbles after a%

David Murphy glibdud at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 04:56:19 CEST 2004

>From: Stephen Stocker <lpar at par1.net>
>To: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
>Subject: [MPlayer-users] RealAudio live stream garbles after a%
>Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:14:35 -0500
>
> >Hi folks. I've been trying to track this one down for quite some time.
>I'm
> >using MPlayer 1.0pre5 and trying to listen to a live RealAudio stream.
>The
> >result is that it plays fine for a while, but eventually starts to
>garble.
> >I've used two different MPlayer compiles (the mplayer-nogui unofficial
>.deb
> >package, and a local compile), and I've played around with the -cache
>option
> >a bit, but the results are always the same. The stream plays fine for a
>few
> >minutes, then gets garbled.
<snip>

>   Hi,
>
>   I tried this stream, while I couldn't duplicate the garble, it did
>   drop the stream completely while I was loading a fairly large web
>   page. I'm inclined to think that was unrelated to your problem,
>   although it *is* rare for me to have a stream quit completely.
>
>   But I left it running for about 15 minutes or so with no problem. Have
>   you tried the latest CVS and latest codecs? One other idea (although I
>   don't know what this would have to do with it), have you tried it
>   without the "-vc dummy -vo null"?
>
>   I used to have a similar problem with the BBC's video (low bitrate)
>   stream, not sure if it still goofs up on me or not.

Thanks for the data. I trried without the -vc -vo, but same problem. I also
noticed an error that I had put on my mental to-do list to look into but
never got around to. Every time I run MPlayer, I get:

Failed to open /dev/rtc: Device or resource busy (it should be readable by
the user.)

/dev/rtc is readable by all, so it shouldn't be a permission problem. I
guess something's got it locked. What are the implications of that in
MPlayer? Could something be getting thrown out of sync if it can't read the
RTC?

-David Murphy
glibdud at hotmail.com