[MPlayer-users] Chroma interpolation

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Mar 1 02:23:23 CET 2004

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 02:27:19AM +0200, Ville Saari wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 01:20:09AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> > Note that G200/G400 does horizontal scaling just fine. But the
> > vertical scaler sucks. It does nearest-neighbor sampling for chroma,
>
> My G400 uses nearest-neighbor for vertical chroma too. The chroma
> consists of sharp square blocks. Not those vertical stripes I would
> get if I force software scaling in vertical direction with
> -vf scale=-1:1200

Using scaling like this is very inefficient. In order to get the
chroma nice enough to look good, you have to scale luma a lot! The
following will give you the exact same quality with much better speed:

-vf scale=-1:600,format=yuy2

In practice, just converting to yuy2 without any scaling should look
good enough.

Rich