[MPlayer-users] Chroma interpolation

Ville Saari 113762 at foo.bar.org
Mon Mar 1 20:00:38 CET 2004

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 08:23:23PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > -vf scale=-1:1200
>
> Using scaling like this is very inefficient. In order to get the
> chroma nice enough to look good, you have to scale luma a lot! The
> following will give you the exact same quality with much better speed:
>
> -vf scale=-1:600,format=yuy2

Almost same quality, but not exactly. That would cause the final luma
to be scaled twice in vertical dimension, which generally causes somewhat
poorer quality than scaling in single step.

However that was just an example of what I would have expected if the
hardware would really have used different scaling algorithms for different
dimensions as you said. I can't use any software scaling as a solution
to my problem, because playing PAL DVDs already uses practically all of
my CPU. Soft-telecined NTSC leaves some spare CPU, but not much.

--
 Ville