[MPlayer-users] tv grabbing

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Jun 17 06:20:50 CEST 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:49:28 +0800
Mick <email_mick_groups at bigpond.com> wrote:

> I record with mencoder, and encode straight to lavc at 1600 bps.

> Would it be plausible/possible to catpyre to somthing relativly
> lossless and low CPU and write it to a fifo, then use mencoder to read
> the fifo straight away and encode the tv?

That would accomplish nothing at all.  Mencoder is already taking a
lossless signal from the TV card, and encoding it.  Having mencoder
encode it to something else, then having another instance of mencoder
re-encoding it would just use more CPU power, plus you'd probably loose
the benefit of mencoder using memory as cache because it would assume
it's encoding from a file, not a real-time TV signal.

Is there something you thought you'd get from using a FIFO?