[MPlayer-users] tv grabbing

Mick email_mick_groups at bigpond.com
Thu Jun 17 09:40:01 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 12:20, rcooley wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:49:28 +0800
> Mick <email_mick_groups at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > I record with mencoder, and encode straight to lavc at 1600 bps.
>

> > Would it be plausible/possible to catpyre to somthing relativly
> > lossless and low CPU and write it to a fifo, then use mencoder to read
> > the fifo straight away and encode the tv?
>
> That would accomplish nothing at all.  Mencoder is already taking a
> lossless signal from the TV card, and encoding it.  Having mencoder
> encode it to something else, then having another instance of mencoder
> re-encoding it would just use more CPU power, plus you'd probably loose
> the benefit of mencoder using memory as cache because it would assume
> it's encoding from a file, not a real-time TV signal.
>
> Is there something you thought you'd get from using a FIFO?

Ignoring the fact my HD will probably not keep up, i thought the CPU
would have more 'time' to encode without dropping frames..

What i see in my encodings now is the an apprant slowdown and speedup of
the frames.. so scolling texts is a little jumpy, the goes faster, like
you would expect if it was film and it was set to run to fast, then too
slow.. then too fast again..

It is less prominant in film than in text, in film the speedups are not
apparent, the slowdown (or framedrops) seem like frame drops, and i'm
not sure how to tell the difference..

I guess the only way to tell if this is part of the encoding or capture
is to try to capture some with a lossy codec and see if its still
there..  My issue Is i have a limited amount of disk space rolling
around to make this happen..

I also though i would have more time to run filters etc to make the
picture look better, i have a very light amount of signal noise (4
vertical lines) in the picture which i was hoping could be gotton rid of
somehow..

So in short: frame drops/speedup and picture quality/processing
improvement.

Mick