[MPlayer-users] tv grabbing

Mick email_mick_groups at bigpond.com
Wed Jun 16 13:52:54 CEST 2004

> > Would it be plausible/possible to catpyre to somthing relativly
> > lossless and low CPU and write it to a fifo, then use mencoder to
> > read the fifo straight away and encode the tv?
>
> Maybe, if your disk is fast enough to write and read the stream
> simultaneously. If you have gobs of RAM you could try a ramdisk.
> Mencoder would have to work in near realtime or your disk will fill up.

Yes, didn't think of this..  no ram either. spew.  Oh well..

> > The issue i'm trying to
> > resolve is some intermitant but apprant jumps in video.. Some
> > chanels more obviuus than others.
>
> Have you tried running it as root and using nice, or using a 2.6 kernel
> with preempt?

I can't get the 2.6 to work, i built it about 15 times and then gave up.  I
need matroxfb for tvout and simply don't have the time to troubleshoot it
anymore...  I'll wait until i'm sure its stable before trying THAT again
;-).

Yes, nice & root does seem to better things.  But its still evident every
few minutes. I'll try mp1e, thats meant to be less CPU intensive I think..

Cheers,

Mick