[MPlayer-users] Re: Problems playing RealPlayer streams.

adland adland123 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 18:33:02 CEST 2004

You need some kind of realplayer plugin for your browser on these examples.
I do not use the web browser plugins myself however
here is a page which explains something about how to set this up for RealPlayer8
if you have this installed.
http://wintersun.org/linux/mozilla-realplay.html

Here is how you can bypass the plugin required situation for your examples

1.
CSPAN real media links I found were for the live TV streams like
http://www.c-span.org/watch/cspan_rm.asp?Cat=TV&Code=CS
Code value of CS is for C-SPAN and CS2 is for channel C-SPAN2 etc..

fetched this watch link using
wget "http://www.c-span.org/watch/cspan_rm.asp?Cat=TV&Code=CS"

inside this file we see the link for the video stream is.
http://play.rbn.com/?url=cspan/g2cspan/live/cspan1-g2.rm&proto=rtsp&plugin=1
?embed

You dont want to playback using a plugin and embedded in the browser
so change to a url like this
http://play.rbn.com/?url=cspan/g2cspan/live/cspan1-g2.rm&proto=mms&plugin=0

if fetch with wget you see that it is a playlist containing entry
mms://rx-wes-sea174.rbn.com/cspan/g2cspan/live/cspan1-g2.rm

so you just use
mplayer mms://rx-wes-sea174.rbn.com/cspan/g2cspan/live/cspan1-g2.rm

Note: server seems overloaded.

2. page Weekend Magazine
uses Javascript but it is easy to see the main links
just copy the link location in browser and cut out the relevent url
url=http://boss.streamos.com/real/swn/oneplace/rm/fwm/fwm20040529.ram
it is a playlist with an embedded smil playlist

tried
mplayer -playlist
 http://boss.streamos.com/real/swn/oneplace/rm/fwm/fwm20040529.ram

failed (will look into bug think it is simple issue)
fetched url with wget
so instead try using the  embedded smi link directly
mplayer -playlist
http://boss.streamos.com/real/swn/oneplace/rm/fwm/fwm20040529.smi

audio played for me

3. page
http://resources.christianity.com/ministries/rzim/main/searchItems.jhtml

You wanted the suresrteam links as these are realmedia
again it uses javascript

in mozilla there is some extra tools you can install for web development
use the one called live headers to watch what is requested when you click
on the javascript link of a audio file

in the capture you see the link you wanted was
http://resources.christianity.com/servlets/PlaylistBuilder
?media=real_audio&bandwidth=ALL&id=42879&storeid=rzim&filetype=.ram

so all you have to do is get the id of track  you wanted to listen to
 which is shown on the bottom of mozilla browser when your mouse is over a link
so do this for playback
mplayer -playlist <url above> to hear audio

good luck