[MPlayer-users] MPEG-TS files still out of sync with mencoder

nsabbi at fastwebnet.it nsabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sat Jun 5 09:23:52 CEST 2004

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know how to get MPEG transport streams (e.g. captured from
>DVB card) in sync when encoding them with mencoder?  The files
>themselves start off synchronised, but due to reception issues many
>files I capture have small corrupt sections in them, which play fine in
>mplayer but cause the rest of the file to go out of sync in mencoder.
>
>At the moment I have to extract the audio stream to a .WAV file, load it
>up into a sound editor, find the spot where the 'blip' was, insert about
>100ms of silence, save it and merge it back in with the video.  That
>brings the rest of the file back in sync, but it takes forever to get it
>exact - surely there's an easier way!
>
>Is the audio decoding treated any differently in mencoder?  It seems
>that the 'blips' in the MPEG-TS file cause the MP3 decoder to drop some
>audio frames (instead of just outputting silence for those corrupted
>frames) yet it works fine in mplayer.  Does mplayer drop video frames to
>keep up?
>
>Thanks,
>Adam.

the demuxer is exactly the same, so demuxer-side the files are treated
identically, but mencoder and mplayer have different synchronization
code.
You can try to add -autosync 30 to force mencoder to sync immediately,
rather than gradually (it's what I usually use with my dvb captures).
Some people suggest to use -mc 0, but I never used it on long-lasting movies.

  Nico