[MPlayer-users] MPEG-TS files still out of sync with mencoder

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Sat Jun 5 02:16:53 CEST 2004

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get MPEG transport streams (e.g. captured from a
DVB card) in sync when encoding them with mencoder?  The files
themselves start off synchronised, but due to reception issues many
files I capture have small corrupt sections in them, which play fine in
mplayer but cause the rest of the file to go out of sync in mencoder.

At the moment I have to extract the audio stream to a .WAV file, load it
up into a sound editor, find the spot where the 'blip' was, insert about
100ms of silence, save it and merge it back in with the video.  That
brings the rest of the file back in sync, but it takes forever to get it
exact - surely there's an easier way!

Is the audio decoding treated any differently in mencoder?  It seems
that the 'blips' in the MPEG-TS file cause the MP3 decoder to drop some
audio frames (instead of just outputting silence for those corrupted
frames) yet it works fine in mplayer.  Does mplayer drop video frames to
keep up?

Thanks,
Adam.