[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-users] VIA CLE266 MPEG2 decoding

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Thu Jul 1 10:44:21 CEST 2004

>> With respect to mplayer, my understanding is that the devs were
>> approached by VIA over a year ago with an offer of specs, but in
>> the end nothing happened (NDA problems?).
>
> I am a "VIA licenced developer", they gave me the CLE266 source code
> CLEXF40040-lite-src_03012004.zip.

Lucky you. :-)

> Nearly all of the code is Free
> Software,  I have put a copy of Free Software without the proprietary
> files on my home page (http://jguk.org/data/CLE266_distro.tgz).  These
> are the files I wiped because they were not Free Software (I only read
> the licence at the top of each file, and not any of whatever was below):

So. That's the "lite-src" i.e. the source code freely available that is
missing the mpeg decoder interface... which was the whole point of the reverse
engineering effort. This was achieved and the functionality is now provided by
the unichrome project as as open source driver.

However, this is simply providing the source code for the interface to the chip.
The piece that is missing and that requires work is to write a plugin for
mplayer that then interfaces to the driver. Which I believe was the original
question.

Regards,
Ivor.

--