[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder uses up all my ram after "moving" tonew hardware

James MS Anderson replys2me at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 16:56:20 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 15:00, justin case wrote:
> > > after moving my bttv-card to another pc (1,5 ghz duron, 384mb
> > ram, redhat9
> > > on 2.6.0 kernel with all modules compiled into kernel), the
> > below mencoder
> > > script eats up all ram within minutes @ approx. 60% load. then it keeps
> > > encoding with around 4000k free memory.
> >
> > There's nothing wrong about that.  The kernel just uses the rest of the
> > memory as disk cache.
> > free output should be more interesting than top, especially the
> > free column in the "-/+ buffers/cache" row, which tells you how much of
> > the memory is not in use by applications.
>
> hmm, i could swear that on my "old" machine it didn't use up all the ram
> available. i am quite sure, because i remember, when using the vhq option,
> it did.
>
> i tried it using a 2.4.20 kernel w. modules and it showed the same behavior,
> just it took much longer till the ram was eaten up.
>
> also this pc actually acts as a fileserver as well and i'd like it to have
> some resources left for that case.
>
> any more hints?

If it's just used as a disk cache, then there's nothing to worry
about... when there's more demand for RAM, the cache will be reduced by
the kernel.  Having said that, it's a little odd that the CPU load
should be so low if you've got everything cached.

{note: lose usage of "everything", unless we're looking at a few GB of
RAM ;o)}