[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder uses up all my ram after "moving" tonew hardware

justin case justin_case at gmx.net
Mon Jan 5 16:00:19 CET 2004

> > after moving my bttv-card to another pc (1,5 ghz duron, 384mb
> ram, redhat9
> > on 2.6.0 kernel with all modules compiled into kernel), the
> below mencoder
> > script eats up all ram within minutes @ approx. 60% load. then it keeps
> > encoding with around 4000k free memory.
>
> There's nothing wrong about that.  The kernel just uses the rest of the
> memory as disk cache.
> free output should be more interesting than top, especially the
> free column in the "-/+ buffers/cache" row, which tells you how much of
> the memory is not in use by applications.

hmm, i could swear that on my "old" machine it didn't use up all the ram
available. i am quite sure, because i remember, when using the vhq option,
it did.

i tried it using a 2.4.20 kernel w. modules and it showed the same behavior,
just it took much longer till the ram was eaten up.

also this pc actually acts as a fileserver as well and i'd like it to have
some resources left for that case.

any more hints?

regards,
/jc