Video ok, no sound just for MPlayer (WAS: [MPlayer-users] Re: Oly 3 sec of video)

Matthew W. Miller mwmiller at columbus.rr.com
Sun Apr 4 17:34:39 CEST 2004

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 11:55:04AM -0300, Roberto Fernandes Tavares Neto wrote:
>> On Sunday, 04 April 2004 at 15:39, Roberto Fernandes Tavares Neto wrote:
>> > Does anyone knows how to solve this one? Alsa is ok (as far as I
>> > can see), but what is the logical reason to MPlayer cannot use the
>> > sound device?

Probably that ALSA support wasn't compiled into MPlayer...

>But how do I set it to alsa? The "mplayer -ao help" gives me:
>Available audio output drivers:
>        mpegpes Mpeg-PES audio output
>        oss     OSS/ioctl audio output
>        sdl     SDLlib audio output
>        null    Null audio output
>        pcm     RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
>        plugin  Plugin audio output

... which this list seems to verify.  You'll likely need to install the
appropriate developer package for ALSA (likely the library package with
'-dev' or '-devel' added on), and recompile and reinstall MPlayer.
	That's assuming you compiled MPlayer from source to begin with.
If you used a packaged binary and there's no separate package to add
ALSA support, then see your distribution/OS's documentation for how to
file a polite feature request to the packager.
--
Matthew W. Miller <mwmiller at columbus.rr.com>      MPlayer does not suck.