Video ok, no sound just for MPlayer (WAS: [MPlayer-users] Re: Oly 3 sec of video)

Roberto Fernandes Tavares Neto roberto at tavares.eng.br
Sun Apr 4 16:55:04 CEST 2004

> Yes. You're probably running some sound mixing server like esd or arts
> and your MPlayer is set to use /dev/dsp directly (ao=oss in config).
> Either shut down the esd/arts or configure MPlayer to use them.
> Basically, see what audio output XMMS is using and set MPlayer to use
> the same. Unless of course XMMS is using /dev/dsp (OSS), in which case
> you must stop whatever XMMS is playing to be able to use /dev/dsp from
> another application (like MPlayer), because OSS usually allows only one
> process to use /dev/dsp.

The XMMS is using alsa. The .mplayer/config sets ao=oss, as you said.

But how do I set it to alsa? The "mplayer -ao help" gives me:

Available audio output drivers:
        mpegpes Mpeg-PES audio output
        oss     OSS/ioctl audio output
        sdl     SDLlib audio output
        null    Null audio output
        pcm     RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
        plugin  Plugin audio output

Thanks!