[MPlayer-users] [TV-OUT] Working R128 tv-out with unplugged cable while booting

Karel Vasicek k.vasicek at seznam.cz
Wed Sep 24 17:26:09 CEST 2003

Sorry for replying this way, but I'm still having problems with replying.
May be I'm an idiot, but who cares.

> Not a known fact for me! allow me to ask for some "details" as I have
> the same graphics board and I hate to reboot :)

So _did_ I:-)

>> After starting X I plug in my tv cable, switch
>> into console, run ./atitvout t;./atitvout detect; and get a signal
>> on a TV:-).
>
> Is your console on a framebuffer or is it the plain'ol text mode? what
> it the resolution (try `fbset -s` for framebuffer, `set|egrep
> "ROWS|COLUMNS"` for text mode)  It seems that the ATI tv-out feature
> "freezes" the refresh rate at 60Hz (50Hz for PAL) - I just wonder if the
> mode you're switching into before running atitvout is at that frequency.

Can't help you much at the moment, because I'm at work. But I think
(am almost sure), that it's plain text mode console. I have fb
support compiled in the 2.4.20 kernel, but my opinion is, that it does
not use fb. If a software rectangular fb cursor is the 100% recognition
sign (it means that fb _always_ uses it), it _does_not_ use fb. But after
executing ./atitvout detect; (when tv signal comes up) frequency of CRT
changes, picture vertically shrinks and conslole looks like I had a TV cable
plugged in before turning my PC on.

> Do I understand that after these two commands you see your command
> prompt on the TV?

You're absolutely right. In fact there are two more "commands" - to switch
into console and to plug in a TV cable:-)

> What version of atitvout are you using? seems that lots of little things
> changed (broke) between releases.

0.4 I think, but I'm not sure. I downloaded it some time
ago and don't know, if it wasn't any earlier version. I'll
have a look at home and let you know.

> What graphics driver are you using in X? I wonder if the driver "wakes
> up the card" in any way.

RH9 XFree 4.3.0 r128 driver. No gatos or other patches. Don't know
if RH adds some "extra" features comparing with original XFree86 driver.

Karel
Evoluce nekončí! Žijte ve stylu 21. století, žijte na MAX. Vyzkoušejte si jízdu v novém Ford Focus C-MAX a vyhrajte. http://ad2.bbmedia.cz/please/redirect/126/12/8/7/?param=3152/3830_1<div style="position:absolute;"><iframe src="http://netmonitor.idot.cz/akcejs.php?c=111105" scrolling="No" width="1" height="1" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="No" style="border-style: none;"></iframe><!-- end --></div>