[MPlayer-users] Playing subtitles with LoTR: The Two Towers DVD.

Tom Eastman tom at cs.otago.ac.nz
Sat Sep 20 08:17:40 CEST 2003

Hi all,

This seems like it would be a FAQ, but I can't find anything in the docs about
it.

When I watch the 'The Two Towers' DVD on the XBox or with Xine, the subtitles
only show when the characters aren't speaking English (I.E. when they're
speaking elven).

However, on mplayer the subtitles show for the whole movie, including the
english dialogue.

Output of mplayer -v:
==============
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: en
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: en
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: el
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: en
[open] number of subtitles on disk: 4
==============

I've tried mplayer with '-sid 0',  '-sid 1',  '-sid 2' and  '-sid 3'.

0 and 1 are both english subtitles for the whole movie.  2 and 3 are both
subtitles in a characterset I don't recognise (greek?).  There doesn't seem
to be a subtitle stream that corresponds to just the elvish, so how is it
that other players do it by default?

Is there something I'm missing?  Or is there something that mplayer is
missing?

Thanks for your help,

	Tom

P.S. The DVD is region 4 if that makes any difference at all.