[MPlayer-users] mplayers playback quality

Joonas Koivunen rzei at mbnet.fi
Sat Mar 15 12:15:25 CET 2003

On Saturday 15 March 2003 12:52, Benjamin Stocker wrote:
> I have a SuSE 8.1 box on a PIII with 850mhz and 1024 MB RAM. I installed
> MPlayer 0.90rc4 and the latest libs and codecs from the mplayerhq website.
> When listening to mp3/asf streams or viewing divx/mpeg movies, I've
> found this problem: mplayer stops every 20-30 seconds for a short moment
could you be more precise? could you possibly cause this problem? are you
using -ao arts? what soundcard/chip you've got?

> (1/10 seconds or so) and then continues with playback. Also the scrolling
> text in the panel stops for this short moment. I tried starting mplayer
this is an x problem or something, afaik, scrolling text in the panel alike
situations stop "freeze" other programs too.

> I also tried other players, avifile/aviplay (plays very smoothly), noatun,
> xmms and realplay. They all have no problems, so I guess, it's mplayer
> specific. Any hint how to improve mplayers playback quality will be
> gratfully appreciated.
could you run mplayer -v [plus all your normal mplayer options] <file that
while watching which you get problems> and then copypaste it all to the list?

-rzei