[MPlayer-users] mplayers playback quality

Benjamin Stocker bstocker at 4s-hosting.ch
Sat Mar 15 11:52:59 CET 2003

Hi!

First of all, thanks to the developers for providing this cool piece of
software :-)

I have a SuSE 8.1 box on a PIII with 850mhz and 1024 MB RAM. I installed
MPlayer 0.90rc4 and the latest libs and codecs from the mplayerhq website.
When listening to mp3/asf streams or viewing divx/mpeg movies, I've
found this problem: mplayer stops every 20-30 seconds for a short moment (1/10
seconds or so) and then continues with playback. Also the scrolling text
in the panel stops for this short moment. I tried starting mplayer with
different options and settings with no luck.

I also tried other players, avifile/aviplay (plays very smoothly), noatun,
xmms and realplay. They all have no problems, so I guess, it's mplayer
specific. Any hint how to improve mplayers playback quality will be
gratfully appreciated.

Thanks, Benjamin