[MPlayer-users] mplayers playback quality

Benjamin Stocker bstocker at 4s-hosting.ch
Sat Mar 15 12:53:22 CET 2003

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Joonas Koivunen wrote:

> On Saturday 15 March 2003 12:52, Benjamin Stocker wrote:
> > I have a SuSE 8.1 box on a PIII with 850mhz and 1024 MB RAM. I installed
> > MPlayer 0.90rc4 and the latest libs and codecs from the mplayerhq website.
> > When listening to mp3/asf streams or viewing divx/mpeg movies, I've
> > found this problem: mplayer stops every 20-30 seconds for a short moment
> could you be more precise? could you possibly cause this problem? are you
> using -ao arts? what soundcard/chip you've got?

No, I use default settings for audio, OSS, but artsd is running. The
results are the same when I use arts for output. I have a Intel
8210E (I810) graphics chip with xf86-4.2.0-176 and a Intel 82801AA AC'97
Audio chip.

Here is the Device section from XF86Config:
Section "Device"
  BoardName    "82810E CGC"
  BusID        "0:1:0"
  Driver       "i810"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  # Option       "NoAccel"
  VideoRam       16384
  Screen       0
  Option       "Rotate" "off"
  VendorName   "Intel"
EndSection

> > (1/10 seconds or so) and then continues with playback. Also the scrolling
> > text in the panel stops for this short moment. I tried starting mplayer
> this is an x problem or something, afaik, scrolling text in the panel alike
> situations stop "freeze" other programs too.

No, it's only mplayer causing this problem. As I mentioned, aviplay plays
the same files very smoothly. Same situation for audiostreaming: mplayer
is stumbling, xmms, noatun and realaudio are playing fine. An exception is
when I play MP3's directly from the disk, mplayer works ok here.

> > I also tried other players, avifile/aviplay (plays very smoothly), noatun,
> > xmms and realplay. They all have no problems, so I guess, it's mplayer
> > specific. Any hint how to improve mplayers playback quality will be
> > gratfully appreciated.
> could you run mplayer -v [plus all your normal mplayer options] <file that
> while watching which you get problems> and then copypaste it all to the list?

I get the problem with all files and when listening to streams. I attached
a example output for mplayer -v file.avi.

Many thanks for your help and thank you for developing mplayer!

Cheers, Benjamin