[MPlayer-users] 0.90 source code no longer compiles

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 01:38:13 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> DOCS/bugreports.html] On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 01:46:42PM -0400, The
> Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Thing is, though, I had a hard time getting it installed in the
>> first place, don't remember where I got it from, and don't know
>> what I'd need to do to remove it. (I'm running Debian, by the way.)
>>
>> The irritating thing is that on my previous setup, I apparently had
>>  divx5linux instead, and don't know where I got that either... the
>> primary difference I remember seeing (aside from the fact that it
>> would compile) is that it reported using libdivxdecore.so, whereas
>> now it reports using libdivxencore.so; I'm not entirely certain
>> that it reports this in the same context where it reported the
>> other, but if not, then the other is disabled, which not much seems
>> to be according to the configure output.
>
> You can just --disable-divx4linux when you run configure. Otherwise
> use latest cvs mplayer rather than 0.90. The divx people went and
> screwed up compatibility in their latest release; it's beyond our
> control. But like Gabu said, their code is worthless; encoding and
> decoding quality and performance are way behind libavcodec.

Fortunately I merely backed up my libdivx*core.so* files before trying
the compile again, and can restore them now.

However, I *am* using the latest CVS - it was after fixing my problems
(which have since recurred, and I don't recall how to fix them again)
getting Theora to configure and then not break the compile that I
noticed this problem, and then when I gave up and tried compiling my
archived 0.90 source I found that it was happening there too.

On a somewhat different (and, I suspect, more RTFM-ish) note, is there
documentation listing what all of the various abbreviations in the
enabled/disabled section of the output of configure mean, and roughly
what is needed to enable them? I've managed to get all the codecs but
opendivx to enable in configure, and some things I know are
hardware-specific methods I don't have, but things like bl and zr I have
no idea what are.

--
       The Wanderer