[MPlayer-users] mencoder/vobsubout => garbage in subtitles fi le

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Jul 28 14:50:44 CEST 2003

Hi Havaard,

I believe you got Rich's suggestions wrong.

On Monday 28 July 2003 13:37, ROED,HAAVARD (HP-Norway,ex1) wrote:
> > The best way is to throw away the hideously ugly 2bpp bitmapped subs
> > and get text subs. You can either use OCR to convert them to text (see
> > subrip in the TOOLS directory, but it's a bit difficult to use, or
>
> If there's a tool for doing this in the MPlayer package, I'll figure it out
> and post it here, if anyone's interested. Stopping with raw bitmaps/IFO
> doesn't strike me as a very good solution.

We are talking about _OCR_ here. So there are problems with accuracy, and it's
a tedious process AFAICT.

> > various windoze progs for the job), download them from an internet
> > site with text subs (e.g. dvd.box.sk; search the archives for other
>
> Why encode DVD's, when you can download them in any encoding..... Leeching
> always works, but nothing beats doin' it yourself. I didn't even know that

He is talking about the _subtitles_ only. (The textfiles.) Even if there might
be errors in them, they are a good starting point for the hand-tuning you
might have to do anyways.

> > good sites), or use the timestamps from the ripped vobsub and retype
> > the actual text of the subs yourself.
>
> lmao, as my next DVD rip project, I'll skip mencoder and XViD all together,
> and just re-enact the movie in my livingroom. And invite all of you for
> some popcorn and exceptionally "live" "encoding".

Hehe. But seriously, getting *good* text subs can require some hand-tuning for
many DVDs, you might even be better off typing them in. :-( OTOH, if you are
lucky.. Or got one of those great windoze* progs - oh, I forgot. ;-p

--
Ciao, /  /
     /--/

* No, I banned it some years ago, too.. :-)