[MPlayer-users] mencoder/vobsubout => garbage in subtitles fi le

ROED,HAAVARD (HP-Norway,ex1) haavard.roed at hp.com
Mon Jul 28 13:37:14 CEST 2003

> From: D Richard Felker III [mailto:dalias at aerifal.cx]

> DOCS/bugreports.html]
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:45:43AM +0000, Diego Zuccato wrote:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> >
> > > ?? DVD subtitles are _IMAGES_ and _NOT_ text!
> > > Try to specify -vobsub for mplayer. Also you should have
> IFO file as well
> > > (from the DVD) because eg palette for DVD subtitle is
> stored only in the IFO
> > > and not inside the "dvd sub stream".
> > Is there a way to rip subtitles as a single file, so not to
> need .IFO
> > file ?
>
> The best way is to throw away the hideously ugly 2bpp bitmapped subs
> and get text subs. You can either use OCR to convert them to text (see
> subrip in the TOOLS directory, but it's a bit difficult to use, or
If there's a tool for doing this in the MPlayer package, I'll figure it out
and post it here, if anyone's interested. Stopping with raw bitmaps/IFO
doesn't strike me as a very good solution.

> various windoze progs for the job), download them from an internet
Hrmpf, assuming we're using MPlayer/MEncoder on linux, windOz aint an
alternative. Period.

> site with text subs (e.g. dvd.box.sk; search the archives for other
Why encode DVD's, when you can download them in any encoding..... Leeching
always works, but nothing beats doin' it yourself. I didn't even know that
the subs were bitmaps (see original posting... *doh*), but I still prefer to
work the problem...

> good sites), or use the timestamps from the ripped vobsub and retype
> the actual text of the subs yourself.
lmao, as my next DVD rip project, I'll skip mencoder and XViD all together,
and just re-enact the movie in my livingroom. And invite all of you for some
popcorn and exceptionally "live" "encoding".

Haavard