[MPlayer-users] Re: file size falls short of 700MB for multi pass

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Jul 2 14:38:32 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Yes and no. The rate control does not adjust anything but quantizer to
> control bitrate, so if you lock the quantizer then rc can't (and
> won't) do anything. However, ideally rate control should also be able
> to tune single-coefficient elimination, adaptive quantization, and
> other features to save bits in complex scenes without using insanely
> high (and thus blocky/ugly) quantizers. If you want to see such
> features, send patch to ffmpeg list. :)))

That makes sense. I'd been suspecting that was how it works. Obviously,
specifying constant quantizer doesn't imply constant bitrate, but
constant quality (as the manpage says).

I've been using lumi_mask, dark_mask, and naq. Are those related to the
adaptive quantization of which you speak? I really need to get into the
source to understand some of this better.

Jonathan Rogers