[MPlayer-users] Re: file size falls short of 700MB for multi pass

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jul 2 07:18:10 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 05:39:10PM +0200, Stefan Baehre wrote:
> Jonathan Rogers wrote:
>
> > What I said is not "nonsense." All four permutations are accepted by
> > mencoder as valid sets of options.
>
> It is valid as vbitrate is ignored.
>
> > I don't think it's clear
> > that quantizer is the only variable in determining bitrate.
>
> It is.

Yes and no. The rate control does not adjust anything but quantizer to
control bitrate, so if you lock the quantizer then rc can't (and
won't) do anything. However, ideally rate control should also be able
to tune single-coefficient elimination, adaptive quantization, and
other features to save bits in complex scenes without using insanely
high (and thus blocky/ugly) quantizers. If you want to see such
features, send patch to ffmpeg list. :)))

Rich