[MPlayer-users] Re: file size falls short of 700MB for multi pass

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jul 2 07:20:56 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:28:58AM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> Lubomir Blaha wrote:
> >But vqscale option is for one pass encoding (constant quantizer). It turn
> >on
> >variable bitrate and when you use vbitrate, your one pass encoding works
> >well.
> >If you want two pass video encoding, vqscale is useless and you need vqmin
> >and
> >vqmax.
>
> Are you saying that the manpage is incorrect? It clearly advocates using
> vqscale for the first pass. You may be right, but who am I to believe?

That "tip" is very poorly worded. It should say "you can try using
constant quantizer mode for pass 1 but this is not the method
recommended by the lavc developers" or something to that effect... I
think Diego (or whoever wrote it) misunderstood when moving the docs
from tech/libavc-options.txt to the manpage.

Rich