[MPlayer-users] remote dvd, weird lags

mp_rohar at cafe.t-l-a.com mp_rohar at cafe.t-l-a.com
Sun Feb 16 22:07:48 CET 2003

I have one slower machine with a dvd, and I am attempting to rip a ntsc
dvd with mencoder, and then use a faster system to encode it.

I did this on the dvd machine:

mencoder -dvd 1 -oac copy -ovc copy -o out.avi

and then tried encoding on another machine with:

mencoder out.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:vbitrate=2000:vhq -o movie.avi

Both in the initial rip and the encode, I get alot of "duplicate 1
frame(s)" messages and the resulting video isn't laggie, but it appears
like it is only about 15-20 fps video. The audio is synced perfectly, but
it seems like there are missing frames and then there are duplicates
filling in the sync, giving an output that looks like 15-20fps video.

I tried the same idea with mplayer -dumpstream, and although I get alot of
"1 duplicate frame(s)" messages during the encoding step, the video
appears better.

Is there something wrong with my original procedure of "-oac copy -ovc
copy" to rip a dvd raw? Should I just use the -dumpstream instead?  or
should I just shut up and buy a dvd player for my other system? :)