[MPlayer-users] remote dvd, weird lags

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Feb 16 22:43:12 CET 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 03:07:48PM -0600, mp_rohar at cafe.t-l-a.com wrote:
> I have one slower machine with a dvd, and I am attempting to rip a ntsc
> dvd with mencoder, and then use a faster system to encode it.
>
> I did this on the dvd machine:
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -oac copy -ovc copy -o out.avi
>
> and then tried encoding on another machine with:
>
> mencoder out.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:vbitrate=2000:vhq -o movie.avi
>
> Both in the initial rip and the encode, I get alot of "duplicate 1
> frame(s)" messages and the resulting video isn't laggie, but it appears
> like it is only about 15-20 fps video. The audio is synced perfectly, but
> it seems like there are missing frames and then there are duplicates
> filling in the sync, giving an output that looks like 15-20fps video.
>
> I tried the same idea with mplayer -dumpstream, and although I get alot of
> "1 duplicate frame(s)" messages during the encoding step, the video
> appears better.
>
> Is there something wrong with my original procedure of "-oac copy -ovc
> copy" to rip a dvd raw? Should I just use the -dumpstream instead?  or
> should I just shut up and buy a dvd player for my other system? :)

Yes, you should most definitely use -dumpstream. And yes, there is
something wrong with your procedure. The broken telecine nonsense they
use in NTSC DVDs can't be stored well in AVI files. You could try with
-ofps 23.976, but again, it's better to just use -dumpstream to leave
it as a .vob file.

Rich