[MPlayer-users] newbie questions

Daniel Hauck daniel at yacg.com
Sun Feb 16 03:11:54 CET 2003

While I appreciate the power of command-line driven actions, one cannot
escape that the one thing that will make Linux appear on the desktop is
functional GUI interfaces and tools.  It's essentially necessary that
the GUI function as the end user would expect.  CLI tools are great for
those who prefer them, but if reality is factored in, it should be found
that it's a tiny minority who prefer the CLI.

One of the reasons Linux on the desktop is being held back is that the
programmers are designing the user interface.  Different programmers
with different styles create varied user interfaces.  Varied user
interfaces creates a chaotic user experience.  This leads to an
understandable reluctance to use Linux tools over Windows tools which do
offer the unified user interface that virtually any user can understand
and use effectively.

I'll look into implementing the options you mentioned as part of the
actions associated with opening a file, but it would be nice if the GUI
would function as the end user would expect.

Daniel Hauck <daniel at yacg.com>